The City of Westwood, Kansas 

Facebook Twitter

Questions We Are Frequently Asked

Be sure to check out the Westwood Resident Handbook for helpful information about our community. If you don't find an answer to your question on our website, please contact us at City Hall, our number is 913.362.1550.


 When is heavy item pickup day?

Town & Country Disposal, Westwood's waste removal service, will pick up heavy items on any Wednesday. However, Westwood households are limited to two heavy items per month. For more information click here.

 Does Westwood have a program to recycle?

Yes, the city has curbside recycling.  To view the guidelines and pick-up times for this program click here.

 I smell natural gas outside my home. Who should I call?

If you smell even the faint odor of natural gas or hear a hissing noise, notify others in person - not by phone - to leave the premises, and then leave. Once away from the area, call 1.888.482.4950 or 911. 
Stay away from the building until an official familiar with the situation tells you it is safe to return. Once your natural gas has been shut off, do not try to turn it back on. Only a qualified person may perform this task.

 Can I reserve Joe D. Dennis Park for a party?

The City does not take reservations for Joe D. Dennis Park. While you are welcome to hold a party at the park, please remember that this is a shared community space.

 Could I get fingerprints taken at City Hall?

Fingerprinting services are available to Westwood residents and businesses Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm. Please call 913.362.3737 beforehand to make sure a Public Safety officer is available to assist you.

 When does the City Council meet?

The City Council meets in regularly scheduled sessions on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall. Past and upcoming agendas are posted here, and the minutes for the previous month's session are posted here once they are approved by the Council.

 How can I contact Public Works?

The Public Works Department is located at 2545 West 47th Street.  Their phone number is 913.432.1550.  Because Public Works personnel are not always in their office, an answering machine will take your message. 

 Do I need a building permit for an upcoming home improvement project? If so, how do I obtain a permit?

A building permit is required for most construction in the City of Westwood.  For more information about the building permit process in Westwood, click here.

 Do I have to license my dog/cat?

The City of Westwood requires all dogs and cats over the age of six months to be licensed on a yearly basis and vaccinated against rabies.  This applies to homeowners and renters. For more information about licensing your pet click here.

The fee is $3.00 for spayed and neutered dogs and cats; $5.00 is the pet is not spayed or neutered.  If you are a senior citizen, there is no charge for the tag and license but you still have to provide proof of rabies vaccination.

 What should I do when there is a stray animal in my yard?

The City of Westwood contracts with the Northeast Johnson County Animal Control Division.  To reach an animal control officer, call the Johnson County Sheriff's Department at 913;782.0720. 

Stray animals are taken to the Unleashed Pet Rescue at 5918 Broadmoor in Mission Kansas. Their phone number is 913.831.7387, they can also be reached by email.

 Do I need a permit to sell something door-to-door?

Yes.  Click here for the application.

Read the ordinance to familiarize yourself with what you can and cannot do.  You should bring suitable identification (your drivers license or other state-issued ID) and a brochure and/or samples of the merchandise you will be selling.  A criminal background check will be performed.  Individuals who pass the background check are eligible to receive a permit. 

The permit is valid for the number of days requested in the application, not to exceed 90 consecutive days (permit is issued for 30 days at a time, renewable).  There is no charge for the application or the permit.

 Would I be able to operate a business out of my home?

Your business must be of a service nature and must be clearly secondary to the main use of the premises as a dwelling place.  Your business must not change the character of or the appearance of the neighborhood with signs, material, equipment, noise, odor or other nuisance, or unusual pedestrian or vehicular traffic.  Furthermore, such home occupation shall be carried on by members of the family residing in the dwelling and no stock or commodities for sale may be kept on the premises.  For more information click here.
4700 Rainbow Boulevard Westwood, Kansas 66205 (913) 362-1550