An open and transparent government is essential to the democratic process. The City of Westwood is dedicated to making local government more accessible to the public. Under Kansas law, citizens have the right to access public records and observe many meetings where decisions are made that affect the community.
The Kansas Open Records Act (KORA) K.S.A. 45-215 et seq. and the Kansas Open Meetings Act (KOMA) K.S.A. 75-4317 et seq. dictate what meetings and records are open to the public.
The Kansas Attorney General's Open Government information
Any person may make a request for a public record. The person need not be a resident of Westwood and the person need not provide a reason for the request.
The City of Westwood requires the following for requested records:
• The request to be in writing. The below form (pdf format) can be used to request records available under KORA.
• The requestor shall provide his/her name and address, and proof of identification.
• Written certification that the requester will not use names and addresses obtained to solicit sales or services.
The City of Westwood is not required to make copies of recording tapes or discs, video tapes or films, pictures, slides, graphics, illustrations unless shown at a public meeting. Copyrighted materials and sealed construction plans may not be reproduced without the permission from the copyright holder, but will be available for viewing or listening.
The City of Westwood does recover the actual costs to provide requested records. These costs can include staff time to retrieve, review and redact information from a record. Fees may be estimated and collected before the records are provided
Charges for Requested Records:
• Pre-authorized staff research time @ $15.00 per hour
• Copies @ $0.50 per page (first 10 pages no charge)
• Certified @ $1.00 per document
• Postage @ 1st class rate (C.O.D.)