The Community Room at Westwood City Hall is a 1,200 sq. ft. space ( 24' by 50' ) with a kitchen area available for meetings and events for groups by advance reservation. The room can accommodate up to 98 people with seats in a theater arrangement, or up to 60 people with tables.
Reservation forms are available online and at City Hall. The City of Westwood does not allow the use of its facilities by individuals or groups who charge admission for a meeting/event or sell any items on the premises for profit without prior approval.
Westwood City staff will accept a tentative room reservation made by phone, but a reservation form must be completed and payment of the deposits and rental fees must be made within five (5) working days after their phone request to finalize a reservation. Please note that payments can be made by cash, check, or money order - we are unable to process credit card payments at this time. Regularly recurring meetings reservations for the room can be made for up to six (6) months in advance provided the room is used for no more than one (1) day per week for a period of not more than four (4) hours each day.
Normal hours of use for the Community Room are 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. A room attendant employed by the City of Westwood is required for events held outside normal business hours which are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Room attendants for the Community Room work voluntarily. Acceptance of an application by the City of Westwood does not guarantee that a room attendant will be available. If no attendant is available, the applicant will be notified as soon as possible, and any deposits and payments received will be available for refund as soon thereafter as possible.
A $50 refundable deposit is required for all reservations of the Westwood City Hall Community Room.
Resident vs. Non-Resident Fee
A one-time $35 flat non-resident fee is charged for use of the Community Room by non-Westwood residents and non-Westwood businesses.
$15 per hour Rental Fee for non-Westwood residents and non-Westwood businesses + Room Attendant Fees
No Rental Fee is charged to Westwood residents and Westwood businesses for use of the Community Room, except for the Room Attendant Fees for weekend and evening rentals.
Room Attendant Fee
The Room Attendant Fee is an additional $25 per hour to the Rental Fee for use of the Westwood City Hall Community Room on weekends and evening. No Room Attendant Fee is charged on rentals of the Community Room that occur from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- The renter making the reservation must be in attendance at the event at all times.
- No smoking, gambling, or alcoholic or cereal malt beverages are permitted anywhere on the premises.
- Access is allowed only during the time period specified on the application. Be sure to include set up and clean up time with your reservation. The room attendant’s time begins when he/she opens the door for you. The room must be vacated on time.
- All persons using the Community Room shall be properly clothed, including shirt and shoes.
- Groups composed of children age 11 years and under must be supervised by a minimum of one adult (21 years of age or more) for each 10 children at all times while on the premises. Groups composed of youth age 12 to 17 years must be supervised by a minimum of one adult (21 years of age or more) for each 15 youth at all times while on the premises.
- All spills, trash and garbage must be cleaned up, all tables wiped down, and the floor swept and/or mopped (with water only) by renter at the conclusion of the event. No foreign substance (soap/cleaner/wax, etc.) may be used on the floor.
- All tables and chairs must be returned to their original positions. Chairs, tables, and other equipment provided by the city are to be used only within the building areas, and are not to be taken outside of City Hall.
- Any decorating, covering, or other desired changes to the facility must be requested in writing at the time the application is submitted. Masking tape is the only fixative permitted, and then only as previously approved on the application. Masking tape shall be completely removed following the event. The use of cellophane or adhesive tape, nails, thumbtacks, staples, screws, etc., on walls, tables, other equipment, or any other part of the facility is strictly prohibited.
- Placement, relocation, or arrangement of equipment furnished by the City of Westwood, other than tables and chairs, is prohibited. Equipment owned or rented by the lessee shall be placed and arranged as mutually agreed upon prior to the event.
- Fees must be paid for the entire period reserved, even if the event starts later or ends sooner than planned. No event may begin sooner than time indicated on the application. No event shall extend beyond the original ending time regardless of when the event began.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancellation of a reservation due to inclement weather will be accepted if City Clerk is notified in accordance with the Shawnee Mission School District weather (snow or tornado warning) policy. All rentals cancelled due to inclement weather can be rescheduled, space permitting. No refunds will be given.
- Cancellation of a reservation with at least one week notice in advance of the start time of the scheduled event will entitle the renter to a full return of all fees and deposit. Cancellation of a reservation with less than one week notice in advance of the start time of the scheduled event will result in forfeiture of 50% of all fees and deposit.
- The renter is responsible for all damages to the City’s property incidental to the room rental.
- The City of Westwood is not responsible for accidents that occur at this facility.
- The City of Westwood reserves the right to refuse any request for use of the room when the activity is deemed inherently hazardous to life and property.
- The City of Westwood reserves the right to determine if a room rental needs extra security (large parties, dances, teenage special events, etc.). If deemed necessary, extra security must be provided by the renter, at renter’s expense, with approval by the Parks and Recreation Committee by no later than one (1) week prior to event.
- The City of Westwood reserves the right to enter all rooms at all times during scheduled reservations.
- Deposits will be refunded in full provided no damage occurs and the room and kitchen are left in satisfactorily clean condition. Deposits may be retained by the City, in part or in full, as compensation for cleaning or repair work needed as a result of renter’s use of the room.