FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need approval to work in the right of way or an easement?

Permanent and temporary structures and materials that restrict access to easements or utilities are generally prohibited. Contact city staff to request approval for encroachments like fences, irrigation systems and landscaping (including street trees).

Utility companies try to limit damage to encroaching items during construction, but they are not required to replace, pay damages for or reinstall an item that impedes construction. Encroachment into an easement or street right-of-way, even if approved, may be at your sole risk.