Animal Control

The City of Westwood contracts animal control services through the Mission Police Department and their civilian Community Service Officer (CSO) program.  For services please call Dispatch at 913-782-0720 

I have lost a pet, what should I do?

If your pet registered and wearing a current city pet tag, it will be cross referenced with our records and Animal Control will contact you. 

If your pet was picked up by Animal Control without a current city pet tag, it was taken to Unleashed Pet Rescue, which is located at 5918 Broadmoor; their phone number is (913) 831-7387, they can also be contacted by unleashedrescue [at] (email). Unleashed Pet Rescue's operating hours are:

  • Tuesday through Friday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
  • Saturday through Sunday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • Closed on Mondays

There's a stray animal in my neighborhood. Who can I call?

Contact Animal Control, the officer on duty can be reached by calling (913) 782-0720.  This is the phone number of the Johnson County Sheriff's Department.  The officer answering the phone will take your name and number and the animal control officer will contact you. 

Animal Control officers prefer that you not call City Hall to request a stray animal pick-up as they would rather have as much information from you as possible prior to attempting to locate the stray.

Dead Animals

Animal Control staff will pick up and dispose of dead stray domestic animals in the street call (913) 782-0720. 

Owners are responsible for their own pets that have passed away. Call Dispatch at (913) 782-0720 to report large wild animal that have died in the roadway and the appropriate authorities will respond.

Wild Animals In My House

Animal Control will assist in the removal of live wild animals that are in your home.  They will not assist in the removal of live wild animals outside your home or provide traps.  There are a number of private animal rescue and removal services in the metropolitan area that can perform these services.