FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay the court costs even if I don't come to court?

Yes.  Everyone has to pay the court costs whether you come to court or not.

Is there a procedure that would allow me to amend a moving violation into a non-moving violation for insurance concerns?

Yes, in some cases.  This can only be done in person at the Court Window at Westwood City Hall.  The procedure is called an amended citation.  This can only be done once a year.  The fines are basically doubled plus court costs.  You can contact the Court Clerk at (913) 362-3737 to inquire if your ticket is amendable and how much it would be.

How can I obtain a copy of my driving record?

The Westwood Police Department does not run driving record checks.  You can go to any driver's license exam station for a copy of your driving record.

Can I pay for a traffic citation online or over the phone?

To pay an online traffic citation Click Here. We are unable to process payments by phone at this time.

We also accept cash, check, money order, or credit card (additional fees involved) for citations at Westwood City Hall - located at 4700 Rainbow Blvd. Traffic citations can be paid anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at City Hall.

Can speak with a prosecutor before my court date?

No.  Cases are handled on a first come, first served basis on each court date.

What are the possible consequences if I miss my court date?

If it is a mandatory appearance or if the case has been continued before, then a warrant will be issued for your arrest and possibly a drivers license suspension.  Otherwise, a letter will be sent to you with a new court date and there will be additional fees added.

Can I get a continuance for my court date?

A continuance might be available if the request is made by the Wednesday before the listed court date.